Monday, November 14, 2011

What's that I hear?....Nothing!!

I was changing sheets and folding laundry on Friday. I could hear Maggie Beth in her room digging through her beaded necklaces and talking to her babies. I kept about my merry way, enjoying the smell of a pumpkin spice candle and Clorox (the smell of order and bliss in my opinion). Suddenly I heard the sound that pierces every mothers heart: silence. I quickly dropped what I was doing to find my dear daughter elbow deep in the toilet. She had unraveled the entire roll of toilet paper and put it in the potty! To my horror, the toilet paper had absorbed most of the water in the bowl. I fetched a plastic bag and began removing the toilet paper by the handful. I even had to reach down into the neck of the toilet to pull out globs of wet mushy toilet paper. My gag reflex is very sensitive when it comes to the toilet (flashbacks of pregnancy with Price). All this time Maggie Beth is right by my side saying "what happened?" When I felt the job was sufficient enough to try to flush the remaining mess, I held the plunger in one hand and crossed my fingers with the other. Luckily, it all went down okay and things were back in working order. I addressed Maggie Beth in a firm voice and said something like "We don't put that much toilet paper in the potty. It makes big mess and can break the potty." Maggie Beth is very sensitive to discipline; especially with me. First the alligator tears began to well up in her eyes, then her bottom lip began to protrude, then finally an audible cry. I said what do you say? "sorry" as she rubbed her chest in a circle (sign language for sorry). I picked her up and said "I forgive you."

Some may think I should have followed up with a time out, but I felt she had understood her wrong doing. I am trying to parent with my spirit. Not that it gives my kids an out, but I try not to think too much about what the parenting book says, or what my friends would/or think I should do, but tap into the Holy Spirit and let him help me evaluate my kid's heart and actions and let him lead me. I want to make a connection with their heart when I discipline and not just make the flesh obey in the moment. More on that another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment