Saturday, February 4, 2012

He Speaks. Part 2

The next mornings devotion (following the 21 Day Fast from the YouVersion Bible app) was the explanation of the Daniel Fast and where it comes from. Daniel asked to be fed only vegetables and water and not feast on the king's food. His body became lean and impressive to the king...and you probably know the rest of the story. Not realizing what I had signed up for, I had to do some research about the Daniel Fast, and there is plenty of information out there. Luckily, I was on fire to do this. I know God answered my prayer. Not only did He answer my prayer of '"should I be fasting, Lord?" He also answered the "Can you hear me?" question in Daniel 10. I was ready to pour my heart out and listen intently to what He had to say to me.

After a grocery shopping trip with a basket FULL of produce (broccoli, apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries, baby carrots, lettuce...lots of lettuce, squash, bell peppers, sweet potatoes and even kale!)

The purpose of the fast is to be disciplined with what we eat as an act of service. To humble ourselves before God. Hunger reminds us to pray. Our desire for sweets, meats and dairy remind us to pray. I have never spent so much time in prayer. I prayed every time I prepared myself something to eat within the boundaries of the fast. I could only have water to drink! Which was hard for a coffee, tea, soda, lemonade, juice...anything but water girl. I kept reminding myself that water is all my body needed to stay hydrated. I likened it to the living water Christ offers; a sort of 'back to the basics' mentality; both physically and spiritually.

I had asked God to reveal to me what it was he had planned for our family. I not only wanted to see his hand working in my situation; I LONGED and still do to see his face. I wanted to journey through the fast knowing God would show himself faithful to give me clarity...about something. Anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment