Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We love Harley!








I have mentioned Harley in previous posts, but since he is a member of our family, I want you to know more about him. Harley is a little 5lb Yorkie who is almost 7 years old. Jon bought him for me about 3 months after we were married. From the start, Harley has been more than a pet. He sleeps with Jon and I and always has. He paws at the top of the covers until one of us lifts up the blanket. Like a little mole, he makes his way to the bottom, then turns around and comes back to the top of the bed. Then just like a human, he lays with his body under the covers and his little head sticking out the top.

While I was pregnant with Price and Maggie, Harley would rest his head on my tummy. When the babies would kick, he would lift his head and cock it to the side keeping his eyes on my tummy. It is was cute!

We were worried that Harley would be jealous when Price was born. We brought home blankets and clothes that Price wore in the hospital, hoping Harley would feel like he had a good "heads up" that baby was about to come home. Turns out Harley was very accepting and even protective of Price. When Price would cry, Harley would make his way to my lap and check out the situation, making sure Price was okay. He sat outside of Price's bedroom when he napped and would come running to me at the first sign of Price waking up. Often I would see him resting under the crib when we would be playing on the floor in the nursery. He was just overseeing things.

Harley is a lap dog. Every time Jon, Price or I sit down, he is there, not intrusive or demanding, just there to cuddle. He wants to sit by us, with us, on us. He is so loving. If something like a laptop or other item is blocking his way, he does "the silent bark." He moves his mouth like he is barking. It sounds like a barking whisper, but he hardly makes a sound. It is quite funny!

Harley is very playful too! He likes tennis balls the best. He is not the least bit reserved at using his bark to get our attention for this! He barks and barks and barks; a shrill and squeaky bark! At times it can be down right nerve racking! I love that he still wants to play though, so I try to keep at it as long as he wants to chase the ball. Harley also has a "girlfriend." Even though he has been snipped, he still has the urge. It is a running joke with Jon and I. If we tell Harley "go get your girlfriend," he comes trotting back with the lavender stuffed hippo that gives him the "love" he needs. Harley also likes to chase squirrels. Just saying the word "squirrel" will send him to the back door jumping up and down waiting for someone to let him outside.

He is very protective. If the doorbell rings and Jon is not home (if its just me and the kids), Harley is relentless! This little dog sounds like he is about to take someones head off! He will not let up! If Jon is home, he may bark a little bit, but will quiet down and mellow out very quickly. I don't yell or get mad at him because I know he is trying to protect us and he takes his job quite seriously! We take Harley for walks with us. Price will ride his bike and Harley tries to keep up with him. If Price stops, Harley prances toward him and sort of checks him out to make sure all is well. When I cry, Harley sits directly in front of me (on my lap, if he has access), ears pulled back in humility with concerned little black teddy bear eyes. If I make eye contact with him, he slowly moves toward me to give kisses.

We love our Harley! He goes with us everywhere we are allowed to take him. He rides on the console between the two front seats and watches the road. He comes with me to pick Price up from school. Price usually gets a face full of kisses when he gets in the car! He goes with us to Lake Tenkiller and rides like a champ on the boat! Harley always knows when we are about to leave because he follows us right at our heels around the house. If we are going somewhere that he can't go with us, we say "We'll be back Harley" and he turns around and walks slowly to the couch and lays on the back cushion, just under the window and watches us leave. If he can go with us, we say, "Let's go" and he bolts out the door, to the car, hops in and sits on the console! He is such a good boy!

I know this is a lengthy post, but Harley is worthy! I could give so many more examples of how Harley has comforted, protected, humored and loved us. I know that Jon, Price, Maggie Beth and I can all say that at some point or another Harley has been "man's best friend" to each of us! He is a member of this family and our lives have been blessed by having him as a part of them! I hope we get to enjoy his company for at least another 7 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment