Friday, March 27, 2009

No Hurry. No worry.

If you are familiar with the drill of getting in and out of the car with a three year old, it has a tendency to get kind of frustrating. Price will pick up a toy from the floorboard and want to have a discussion about it before he takes a seat. Or he will grab his cup from the cup holder and want to take a long drink before he climbs into his seat to get buckled up. He will sometimes point out the scenery around him or simply have nothing to observe, but take FOREVER to finally park it! I say "come on, buddy", "hop in, lets go", "come on bud, we have other places to go", "move faster please" or "come on Price!" quite a bit. After a few errands, I can feel myself longing to be home bound...no more in and out of the car!
Yesterday, we had a few errands to run. Knowing the possibility that I might get frazzled, I decided there was absolutely no rush. We would take our time. I walked around to his side of the car to let him out, knowing it might take a good 3 minutes for him to find a creative way to exit the car. I stood back watching him, smiling and holding the door open. I watched him slide out of the car and we made our way into the store. He was very good and helpful in the store (as he usually is). When it was time to get back in the car, I opened the door and he took his sweet time getting in the car. I stood and watched patiently waiting for him to sit. I buckled him in, gave him kisses and shut the door.
My point is, why the hurry? I know there is often a time and a place to move more quickly, but a lot of the time, there is normally nothing pressing on the agenda when we get home. Why not take more time? Why rush? I don't know if Price noticed my efforts to move in low gear, but I noticed my patience only grew the slower WE moved. I have committed myself to evaluating the moment and deciding if there really is a need to hurry. Doesn't life move fast enough without encouraging it to do so?

1 comment:

  1. Good post, cuz. When we lived in Montgomery I noticed that the time I got most frustrated with the kids was getting ready for church Sunday mornings because we had to be there at 8:30 for band practice and RC was already at church so it was just me. I would get so frustrated and mean because the kids weren't moving fast enough.

    So, we tried to start our morning earlier, but on the days when we couldn't I tried to remember that being late was a much better price to pay than yelling at the kids all morning.

    You are right. Life moves so fast already. Why help it?

    I love you.
    Bridge

    ReplyDelete