Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Rocky Rocky" Blessings

When Price was a baby he used to say "unna rocky rocky" when he wanted me to rock him. It has always been my greatest pleasure to cuddle my boy. I would drop everything and make my way to the rocking chair. Price would follow me with his blankie, buzz, and bear (all made of the same soft material that he loves). He used to crawl into my lap and I would sing to him.
Well, yesterday I was emptying the dishwasher and Price was rolling around on the kitchen floor. He made his way over to where I was standing and laid still for a moment. He was tickling his lip with his finger, which is what I do when I am tired. When he caught me looking at him, he asked "Momma, you wanna rocky rocky?" OMG! "Yes! Of course I do!" I replied. Price made his way upstairs, and I knew he was going to get his rocking paraphernalia. I put emptying the dishwasher into high gear and was sitting in the rocking chair when he came back downstairs. He slowly crawled into my lap and I snuggled my almost 4 year old boy. He said "will you sing to me?" I sang some hymns and when I stopped Price said "again." I sang some more. His eyes were getting heavy and his body limp. After a few moments, he fell asleep. I stayed there and rocked my preschooler for nearly 45 minutes. As I did, I studied his perfect complexion, LONG eyelashes, his full lips, dark eyebrows, precious hands and his hairline that is just like Jon's. Price's legs were curled up and filled my entire lap. His hands held onto his blankie and buzz; his arm was wrapped around his bear. I remembered a book I checked out at the library. I think the title is "If I had Known It Were Your Last." It is all about a mother recalling her son's lasts, saying she would have held on longer if she had known it were the last time she would rock her son or the last time she would carry him to his bed. She would cherish the times he wanted to crawl into bed with his parents, not knowing when it would be the last time that he would want to. A child grows so fast! I could not remember the last time Price had asked me to "rocky rocky," the last time he had requested to find comfort in my arms and find rest enough to fall asleep. I tried so hard to burn that moment into my memory. I feel so grateful and blessed to have had that moment with my son yesterday. It could have been the last.

1 comment: